Monday, September 04, 2006

The first day!

The first day of travel passed relatively uneventfully. Key highlights:

  • I traveled a total of 686 miles in five states -- PA, WV, OH, IN, IL. About two thirds of the trip was on lovely I-70W.



  • Gas is apparently much cheaper in the Midwest than on the East Coast. I refilled my tank for $2.30 a gallon in Ohio. Of course, when I filled up I was somewhat worried that the gas might be diluted, tainted, or otherwise fouled. But it seems to be just as wonderful as East Coast gas -- my car is averaging about 31 MPG so far.
  • Speaking of energy, I passed several giant windmills on the PA Turnpike near Pittsburgh. I wonder if Nick's company built them?



  • If you've ever lived or traveled with me, you know that I eat waffles, well, just about everyday. So I thought it was fitting that my first dinner of the trip should be at Waffle House.



  • I stayed overnight with Karen Lichtman at the University of Illinois in Champaign, IL (thanks Karen!). Karen and I went to a little party some of her friends were throwing. It was very exciting. Bottom line - It's going to be fun to back in school.
  • No comments: